Real-time marketing triggers in Dynamics 365 Marketing are a powerful tool for automating marketing processes and delivering personalized experiences to customers in real-time. These triggers allow you to define specific actions to take place in response to events within the platform, such as form submissions, email opens, or changes to specific fields in records.
Custom triggers, interaction triggers, and business triggers are different types of triggers in Dynamics 365 Marketing.
- Custom triggers: Custom triggers allow you to define specific actions to take place in response to events within the marketing platform, such as form submissions, email opens, or changes to specific fields in records.
- Interaction triggers: Interaction triggers are pre-built automations that are automatically triggered by specific interactions between a lead and the marketing platform, such as email opens or form submissions. Interaction triggers can be customized and extended to meet the specific needs of your marketing campaigns.
- Business triggers: Business triggers are pre-built automations that are automatically triggered by specific business events, such as changes to lead or account records, new opportunities, or the completion of a marketing campaign. Business triggers can be used to automate tasks such as updating records, sending notifications, or triggering follow-up actions.
How to move trigger from one environment to another
If you use multiple environments before making them available in a production environment, you can move draft custom trigger “definitions” between environments.
Before talking about the movement, lets talk about what are thing to consider before the movement.
- It is currently not possible to move a published trigger to a new environment. Each trigger are published with a unique injection key and they are unique to that environment.
- Make sure you add the component catalogassignment to the solution. This won’t be automatically added when you add the trigger to the solution. You need to manually add it and also pick and choose based on the schema name which is similar to your trigger name.
- Make sure you export the solution as unmanaged, managed solution are not supported to move custom triggers.
- Make sure the trigger component are independent in the solution of any other components you wish to move between orgs.
Now, that your have prepared and considered all the possibilities for the move, let see how we can do the transfer.
- Make sure the trigger you are planning to move is in Draft state, if it is already published, don’t worry stop the trigger and also the journey it is associated with.
- Create a solution
- Add triggers to the solution by adding the component types Triggers & Catalog Assignments.
- Adding the triggers will also add some Custom API to the solution, don’t remove it.
- In the target environment, after the components are verified, publish the trigger so that they can be used with the journeys.